Thursday, October 28, 2010

I love building stuff

     So this started out as a distaste for these blocks sitting in my front yard. The previous owners had made an attempt to craft some sort of flower bed. They put mulch behind the block and once it rained all it did was push the block forward resulting in a very sickly looking structure. So I decided to take the block out and in the spring when we decide what we want to do with that area i'll take care of it.
     We had had a chimnea, which is pretty much a clay pot fire pit, in the backyard for a few months until a week or so ago one of the dogs knocked it over and broke it. So I decided to repurpose that ugly block flower bed in the front yard into a much more useful fire pit. Plus Kara was on me about replacing the chimnea anyways.


     So, armed with only a shovel, a hammer, a level, and two bags of play sand. I created this-




I dug about a block and a half down to give it a sturdy base. When it gets warm again i'll probably fill in with mortar to make it completely sturdy. All in all i'm pretty proud with the finished product, given the lack of preparation and planning. What's really awesome is that I used every block I had. Talk about a perfect fit.

1 comment:

  1. You know what they say.... One man's shitty flower bed is another's sweet ass fire pit!

    ReplyDelete